Posted In: Explosiveness
In the quest to become more powerful and athletic, many athletes may be thinking that if they perform explosive exercises with added load, that when they go back to performing similar or sport specific movements at bodyweight, they’ll be that much more explosive. This write up aims to serve as an introduction and reveal whether or not loaded explosive movements are necessary, and which types of athletes they are best suited for. I will focus my attention on exercises aimed a increasing the vertical jump and the sprint. For the vertical jump, examples of weighted exercises are: Olympic lifts, jump squats while holding dumbbells/ balancing a barbell on the back, or wearing a weighted vest. For sprinting, many athletes will use the aforementioned exercises, along with other methods such as sprinting with, or pushing, a weighted sled.
They are an integral part of many SAQ programs and compliment many different sports and events.Ladder agility drills are an excellent way to improve foot speed, agility, coordination and overall quickness.
Improve explosive power with this full body med ball workout
Medicine ball training has been around since the ancient Greeks discovered health benefits from exercising with weighted balls. It is one of the oldest forms of strength and conditioning used to improve health, explosive power, and speed. Medicine balls are versatile, portable and a fad that lasted the test of time. Several styles and sizes exist – some are made of rubber or leather, some absorb load, and others bounce really high. But how can a weighted sphere be so simple, yet have the potential to be so functional?
Training with plyometrics can be the difference between being an average athlete or a greatathlete. Some coaches tend to shy away from plyometrics as they assume the movements can be dangerous, hard to teach, and not worth the trouble. This is not the case. By not implementing plyos into your athlete’s routine, your athlete will never become nearly as explosive as he or she could.
Someone mentioning they have Soviet training secrets used to be a big deal. The Soviets’ athletic endeavors were quite dominant from the 1950s to the 1990s. One secret that American coaches noticed was the Soviet athletes doing jumping drills before competition, rather than the traditional static stretching.
- CON-CRET Patented Creatine HCl Raspberry Powder, Stimulant-Free Workout Supplement for Energy, Strength, and Endurance, 64 Servings $29.93 – $33.25
- Authentic ISO Grass Fed Whey Protein Isolate Powder - Low Carb, Non-GMO Muscle Building Protein w/No Fillers, Mixes Perfectly for Post Workout Recovery, Vanillar - 5LB, 75sv $39.99 – $79.99
- CROSS101 Weighted Vest Arctic/Desert Camouflage 20lbs - 80lbs $33.60 – $179.99
- PERLECARE Weight Bench Adjustable, Sit Up Bench for Ab Bench Exercises, Multi-Functional Flat Incline Decline Bench with… $129.99
- DirtCheapSupps Creatine Monohydrate 100g $12.95 – $25.95
- True Athlete Kre Alkalyn Helps Build Muscle, Gain Strength Increase Performance, Buffered Creatine NSF Certified for Sport (7.05 Ounces Powder) $16.18 – $22.18
- PACEARTH Gymnastic Rings 1100lbs Capacity with 14.76ft Adjustable Buckle Straps Pull Up Exercise Rings Non-Slip Rings… $29.99
- Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder with 25g of Hydrolyzed 100% Whey Isolate, Gluten Free, Fast Digesting, Gourmet, 3 Pound, Vanilla, 3 Pound , 48 Oz $47.50 – $57.74
- Gymenist Pair Of Ankle Weights Can Be Adjusted Up To 5 LB Each SET OF 2 x Weight Wraps (Total 10-LB) $35.36